You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing iPhone 12 with iTunes 12.8.2.3

iTunes is not recognising my iPhone 12 (with iOS 14.5). According to System Requirements my MacBook Pro with macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 with iTunes 12.8 should connect and sync. It's not.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 9:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 6:47 AM

Good news. After a chat with Apple Support the update server finally worked today and I could install the update.

The iPhone 12 now runs iOS 14.5.1. When I connected the iPhone today to my Mac Mini the update was triggered and installed properly. I did have to unplug the iPhone and then plug it in again before the iPhone finally showed up in iTunes again.

The update to Safari 14.1 also installed at last. Clearly there were problems at Apple's end.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2021 6:47 AM in response to Imark Imark

Good news. After a chat with Apple Support the update server finally worked today and I could install the update.

The iPhone 12 now runs iOS 14.5.1. When I connected the iPhone today to my Mac Mini the update was triggered and installed properly. I did have to unplug the iPhone and then plug it in again before the iPhone finally showed up in iTunes again.

The update to Safari 14.1 also installed at last. Clearly there were problems at Apple's end.

May 1, 2021 10:01 AM in response to DavidGCollins

Hi, DavidGCollins. Thanks for reaching out to us on the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having issues getting your iPhone recognized in iTunes. We'll be happy to help you out with this.

From here, we'd recommend following the steps in this article in order to resolve this issue: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Specifically, the steps under "If you use a Mac".

We hope this helps you out.

Cheers!

Jun 20, 2021 5:33 AM in response to Panda3883

For iOS 14 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

May 3, 2021 6:14 AM in response to MoonJ.

That's not helpful at all.

When I plug in my iPhone 12 into my Mac mini running 10.14.6 and iTunes 12.9.5.5 I get the following sequence of events:

Without this update I'm not able to sync my iPhone with my iTunes library. I find this very annoying. I hope this will be solved soon.

I even connected my Mac mini with the router with an ethernet cable to exclude wifi network problems at home.

Jun 19, 2021 3:13 PM in response to Imark Imark

hi lmark, did Apple Support push some updates to your pc/phone?

my iphone8plus powered down and couldn't boot normally- stuck at Attempting data recovery loop (I assume it installed the latest iOS that was downloaded prior), worst both my windows and mac OS X 10.11.6 can't detect it (though it can detect an older iphone6 iOs 12.5.1, i could authorise to recognise the devices)

So am at my wits end with the IP8Plus... am also stuck at trying to downgrade OS X iTunes from 12.8.2.3 to 12.8.2 ... any ideas how i can reboot my IP8plus please?

Jun 19, 2021 3:24 PM in response to Panda3883

I can't remember exactly what happened over a month ago. I do remember chatting to someone in Apple Support. It took a while to explain the situation and that I had installed all the software updates. The next day when I tried again all of the sudden iTunes recognised the iPhone 12 and started installing the extra software for iTunes to transfer files to the iPhone.

In your case I would contact Apple Support, probably easiest via through chat. Have you been able to connect your iPhone to your PC and Mac before?

Syncing iPhone 12 with iTunes 12.8.2.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.