You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swapping iPads

My husband and I are swapping iPads and are having issues when we try to swap out apple id's from one ipad to the other. Help please!

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 9:34 AM

I presume that you wish to do this properly - removing the possibility of accidental or inappropriate sharing of personal information - or accidental merging of data (such as Keychain, Calendar, Contacts and other data).

Perhaps the easiest method is to ensure that both devices are initially backed-up, using either iCloud or iTunes:

device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Next, prepare both iPads as if your were about to give the away - which, for all intents, you are…:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

After the two devices have been properly wiped and prepared for reuse, you can swap iPads - and set-up again “as new”, restoring the iCloud/iTunes backup that you created earlier:

iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 30, 2021 9:34 AM in response to rojosa

I presume that you wish to do this properly - removing the possibility of accidental or inappropriate sharing of personal information - or accidental merging of data (such as Keychain, Calendar, Contacts and other data).

Perhaps the easiest method is to ensure that both devices are initially backed-up, using either iCloud or iTunes:

device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Next, prepare both iPads as if your were about to give the away - which, for all intents, you are…:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

After the two devices have been properly wiped and prepared for reuse, you can swap iPads - and set-up again “as new”, restoring the iCloud/iTunes backup that you created earlier:

iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Swapping iPads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.