You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to update itunes library location

I switched iMacs. I am using my old iMac and need to link Music to my iTunes library created on my newer iMac on my RAID drive. The old iMac doesn't include any music created since I last used it. Thanks.

Posted on May 1, 2021 5:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 8:35 AM

Greetings marcfromcalgary, 

We understand that you’re looking to redirect your Music/iTunes library on your iMac. 

You’ll find this article has information on that, and using the drop-down at the top left you can change from macOS Big Sur to macOS Catalina for steps. Change where your music files are stored on Mac

In iTunes on Mac, that preference should be in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and you can point it to the iTunes Media folder location. 

Thanks.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2021 8:35 AM in response to marcfromcalgary

Greetings marcfromcalgary, 

We understand that you’re looking to redirect your Music/iTunes library on your iMac. 

You’ll find this article has information on that, and using the drop-down at the top left you can change from macOS Big Sur to macOS Catalina for steps. Change where your music files are stored on Mac

In iTunes on Mac, that preference should be in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and you can point it to the iTunes Media folder location. 

Thanks.

May 2, 2021 1:49 PM in response to marcfromcalgary

marcfromcalgary,

This is something that changed in macOS Catalina with the move from iTunes to the Music app. You mentioned using a newer Mac as well. By default in macOS Catalina and macOS Big Sur your music is stored in Home/Music/

Does that information help you locate the files via your newer Mac? If you right click on a song and choose to Get Info show you a location that you can point your older iMac to?

how to update itunes library location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.