You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Mac Mini takes a minute to boot up

My brand new M1 Mac Mini takes a full minute to boot. The same amount of time it takes my mid-2010 iMac to boot! Is there any solution to this issue? I’ve seen videos of M1’s booting in 17 seconds. Is mine a dud?

Here’s a link to a video I took of this issue:

https://youtu.be/r75hjhWSIVM

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 3, 2021 12:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 4:06 PM

I am on your side no matter where you reside. Ha!

OK, I read your etrecheck report and did not see anything that jumps out at me to be the cause. I recommend two tasks to perform one at a time.

1. Open System Preferences ➔ Users & Groups ➔ Login Items : Here, see what all is listed to load during startup. Uncheck all items and then boot up. Do things improve? If YES then begin adding items one at a time and boot until you find the item that causes the boot up delay. If this does not help then-
  2. Reinstall macOS in recovery mode without deleting all your data. Details on how to accomplish this is here ➔ ➔ macOS Recovery Mode 

Axel F.

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 6, 2021 4:06 PM in response to ryq_

I am on your side no matter where you reside. Ha!

OK, I read your etrecheck report and did not see anything that jumps out at me to be the cause. I recommend two tasks to perform one at a time.

1. Open System Preferences ➔ Users & Groups ➔ Login Items : Here, see what all is listed to load during startup. Uncheck all items and then boot up. Do things improve? If YES then begin adding items one at a time and boot until you find the item that causes the boot up delay. If this does not help then-
  2. Reinstall macOS in recovery mode without deleting all your data. Details on how to accomplish this is here ➔ ➔ macOS Recovery Mode 

Axel F.

May 3, 2021 6:40 PM in response to ryq_

Thanks for posting the link to the video. Yes, I noticed that your Mac Mini is getting hung up on initial startup. It is not getting hung up on loading software (macOS) however it appears to get hung up on initializing hardware. I couldn't see in your video, but, do you have anything external connected to your Mac Mini other than the Display, Keyboard and Mouse? Any HUBs and/or adapters? If you do then try disconnecting external peripherals and see whether that improves the boot up time.

Axel F.

May 4, 2021 3:08 PM in response to Axel Foley

Nope. Just the wireless apple mouse and a wired keyboard. Thunderbolt to iMac for display. The other stuff is all hooked up to the iMac. I sometimes connect them together via ethernet (like when I did the migration assistant), but the mini isn't yet incorporated into my other gear (external drives, audio interface, etc). Glad to have the legendary Axel Foley on my side, even though I'm not in Beverly Hills.

M1 Mac Mini takes a minute to boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.