You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Standard ABC text for teaching writing

Hi,

I’m using Pages on iPad to make classroom text. However, there is no standard abc text for teaching beginning writer’s. For example, look at the “a”s in this text. We don’t teach children to write an “a” this way. Some fonts on Pages, such as Chalkboard SE, Chalkduster, Bradley do have standard small “a”s but the capital letters are almost as small as lower case letters. There is no text that I can use for teaching writing. I`m spending way too much time altering letter sizes, various font’s, tables, the works, to make basic learner text. Pages is very great, a huge help for making textbook material for my older students. But beginning writing (with pencil and paper text) is desperately needed on Pages.

Can anyone steer me in some direction that I haven’t discovered to find basic abc text for teaching writing? And be able to just simply type onto my Pages documents?

Thank you,

M. Thompson

E-School

Nara, Japan

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 5, 2021 2:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 5:31 AM

You can add fonts yourself to an iPad using an app like iFont or AnyFont.

To ask Apple to add the feature you want, you need to use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

When you send feedback, include a link to this discussion so they can see your graphics.

4 replies

May 5, 2021 4:29 AM in response to ABC_fonts_for_teaching

Hi M. Thompson,

I tried these fonts:

All typed in Pages with 12 pt font size for each font.

All the capital letters (upper case) appear to me to be larger than the lower case letters.

What are you doing that is different?

By the way, Monaco is monospace (all letters have the same width, like a typewriter). Perhaps that is not what you want.

Please reply with questions.

Regards,

Ian.

May 5, 2021 5:18 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I unfortunately have to use a combination of several/all available scripts on one page. What I hope to use is standard text script which we teach to all children beginning to write with pencil on paper. I’ve set a photo below that shows standard ABC print which I hope to type on pages. The others are pages I’ve made for children using crayons for their first time writing ABCs. Notice I had to use different fonts but, these are fine for first time letters. Moving on to using pencil and writing words, and sentences is where I really need a standard print font for these kids to follow as examples. I really hope iPad understands this teacher uses iPad and Pages and I love them. But... it’s extremely limiting my situation in teaching the basic writing to my young students. Mac.... PLEASE a standard ABC font as pictured here! Pretty please with sugar on top ;-) wink wink

Standard ABC text for teaching writing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.