You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 2012 MacBook Pro won't update to BigSur11.0

Hi! Is my 2012 MacBook Pro too old to update to Big Sur 11.0? I go to software updates and it say's i'm up to date even though it's currently running Catalina 10.15.7.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2021 7:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 7:28 AM

yes, it is too old.

10 replies

May 7, 2021 8:17 AM in response to Allen012

Allen012 wrote:
I still take sick mac over a healthy PC any day.

for sure. :) and if the battery is your main issue, you can go to OWC to shop for a battery. there are also install videos specific to each mac. for some models from 2012, the battery replacement is very easy and about a 5 minute job. however, some models are much more complicated. you can go to their site and view their install videos to see if a battery replacement is something you can do for yourself, or determine what you would be willing to pay to have it done for you.

best of luck.

May 7, 2021 8:28 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I don't recommend changing the battery yourself until the machine is declared too vintage for Apple Authorized support center to give you help. Many actually will do it because of being good customer service centers to begin with.

So much is risky with them, including the fact that any sharp object, or expansion of the battery can lead to a fire or sparks that only plain clean dry sand can put out. External battery packs are available that include a magsafe adapter. Just be sure to get the right wattage input for your model. That is usually safer than doing it yourself, unless the battery already needs to be replaced because of chemical problems.

An older model also has the advantage of running older systems than current Macs can.

May 7, 2021 8:45 AM in response to a brody

you're right. i've done quite a few battery replacements, but there are some models i wouldn't even attempt to do. that's why i suggested the OP look at OWC's install videos. the batteries in non-retina models from 2012 are very easy to replace, with very little risk of causing any damage and you don't need to touch anything other than the connector and the battery itself. 3 screws hold the battery, and no pry tools needed. the retina models from 2012 are a different story. to replace the battery in those takes an almost complete disassembly of the MBP, where there is a high risk of damaging a lot more components than just the battery. for models that are that complicated, yes, professional installation is always recommended.

May 7, 2021 8:57 AM in response to Allen012

someone that knows what they are doing will probably charge 1 hour labour because it's a 30 minute job on your MBP. in Canada, most shops charge between $80 and $100 an hour. i have NO IDEA of hourly rates in (i assume) the USA. you can shop around locally, or talk with OWC. they not only sell hardware, they also do repair and replacement work.

My 2012 MacBook Pro won't update to BigSur11.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.