You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New version of Photos (sw: Bilder)?

On start of Photos on my iMac (running macOS Catalina - 10.15.7) I get a message saying: "Not supported library... This library is from a newer version of Photos. Upgrade appl to be able to open library."

Previous use of the library was on my new MacBook Air running macOS Big Sur (11.3.1 - Apple M1).

Is this what causes the problem?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2021 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 7:58 AM

Hi

Yes. The library format is specific to the version of photos. And while photos can upgrade the library from an older version to work with a newer version, it is not possible to go in the other direction.

There is a way to downgrade, but you have to use iCloud. Essentially you sync the library with ICloud using your Big Sur machine, and then create a new empty library on your Catalina machine, and sync that also with iCloud.

However, if your imac is capable of the upgrade to Big Sur, then that would be a better solution.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2021 7:58 AM in response to erikno

Hi

Yes. The library format is specific to the version of photos. And while photos can upgrade the library from an older version to work with a newer version, it is not possible to go in the other direction.

There is a way to downgrade, but you have to use iCloud. Essentially you sync the library with ICloud using your Big Sur machine, and then create a new empty library on your Catalina machine, and sync that also with iCloud.

However, if your imac is capable of the upgrade to Big Sur, then that would be a better solution.

New version of Photos (sw: Bilder)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.