You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use my iMac as a monitor

I am so impressed with everything about my 27" iMac although is is an older 2011 version. I would like to be able to display my work laptop running windows 10 through the iMac. Can this be done ?

Posted on May 8, 2021 1:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 9:23 AM

For instance, connecting a MacMini or MacBook Pro to an iMac as a secondary peripheral or monitor?

Not that simple. Only 2009-Mid 2014 iMacs running no higher MacOS than OS10.13 every worked as monitors for other Macs. And the 2009 and 2010 iMacs had to be 27-inch models. Apple never intended, supported, or documented Target Display Mode as being anything other than Mac to Mac.

Apple started the deprecation of TDM in late 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt in its moldering face in early 2020, before the pandemic.

It's dead.

Since COVID, there have been steaming piles of post-processed horse feed bulldozed on to the internet by people who never learned the concept of "research before publishing." That has caused a lot of people to spend money needlessly on expensive cabling, and confused users to come here thinking any iMac made since the last Ice Age could be a display for any other device. Not to mention blaming Apple because some hack "writer" without benefit of an editor failed to do his job responsibly.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2021 9:23 AM in response to RAMSKULL

For instance, connecting a MacMini or MacBook Pro to an iMac as a secondary peripheral or monitor?

Not that simple. Only 2009-Mid 2014 iMacs running no higher MacOS than OS10.13 every worked as monitors for other Macs. And the 2009 and 2010 iMacs had to be 27-inch models. Apple never intended, supported, or documented Target Display Mode as being anything other than Mac to Mac.

Apple started the deprecation of TDM in late 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt in its moldering face in early 2020, before the pandemic.

It's dead.

Since COVID, there have been steaming piles of post-processed horse feed bulldozed on to the internet by people who never learned the concept of "research before publishing." That has caused a lot of people to spend money needlessly on expensive cabling, and confused users to come here thinking any iMac made since the last Ice Age could be a display for any other device. Not to mention blaming Apple because some hack "writer" without benefit of an editor failed to do his job responsibly.

can I use my iMac as a monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.