You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I delete Photos from my computer ?

If I delete all of Photos from MacBook pro can i still download photos?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2021 11:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 5:30 AM

Hi

If you are storing your photos just as individual image files, and don't want to use the photos app/library, then you can use the image capture app to transfer image files from your phone to any folder you like - either on your mac, or on your external drive.

Your other option is to delete everything out of the photos app, and use this to do the download - exporting the images to your external drive before deleting them from the app.

However, whatever you do, please make sure you have a way of regularly backing everything up - if you don't, you will eventually lose them.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2021 5:30 AM in response to raindog300

Hi

If you are storing your photos just as individual image files, and don't want to use the photos app/library, then you can use the image capture app to transfer image files from your phone to any folder you like - either on your mac, or on your external drive.

Your other option is to delete everything out of the photos app, and use this to do the download - exporting the images to your external drive before deleting them from the app.

However, whatever you do, please make sure you have a way of regularly backing everything up - if you don't, you will eventually lose them.

May 10, 2021 5:03 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Oh I have placed all my photos on an external hard drive but they are still on my computer and I am not sure if I should trash the photos app altogether. If I do can I continue to download pics from my iPhone and my camera to my computer or do I simply delete all photos and keep the photos app in order to do this.

Also should I delete the iPhoto app still hanging around.

Thank you very much for helping

can I delete Photos from my computer ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.