You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail not updating in Mail App on iPhone

Hello, if I delete an email on the iPhone, that change shows up on the MBP. But when I delete an email on the MBP, that does not show on iPhone. In fact, that email stays as unread. This behavior is happening on both Gmail accounts, but not the iCloud email account.

iPhone X with 14.4.2 using Gmail in Mail App on both devices.

iPhone Mail settings - Accounts - Fetch New Data - Gmail - says "Fetch" and under Fetch - "Manually" is checked. I tried change Fetch to "Automatically" but that didn't fix anything.

I'm at home with both devices on the same wifi.

Thanks for any help!

iPhone X

Posted on May 10, 2021 6:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 4:56 AM

One other thing to try and that is to log in to the GMAIL app on the GMAIL website on your MacBook Pro and then make changes only there. Does that action update your iPhone and your MacBook Pro Mail apps?

While you are on the GMAIL website, open GMAIL settings ➔ See All Settings ➔ Forwarding and POP/IMAP ➔ IMAP Access : Here, Set ENABLE IMAP to ON.

Axel F.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2021 4:56 AM in response to fishysammay

One other thing to try and that is to log in to the GMAIL app on the GMAIL website on your MacBook Pro and then make changes only there. Does that action update your iPhone and your MacBook Pro Mail apps?

While you are on the GMAIL website, open GMAIL settings ➔ See All Settings ➔ Forwarding and POP/IMAP ➔ IMAP Access : Here, Set ENABLE IMAP to ON.

Axel F.

May 10, 2021 6:53 PM in response to fishysammay

As you already know, GMAIL on iPhone with the Apple Mail app does not allow Push Update/Notifications. You have use the Fetch method. You have chosen "Manually". This means that GMAIL on Apple Mail app will only update when you manually open the Mail app. Until you open it and bring it on the screen, there are no updates.

Try setting the Fetch interval to 15 minutes so that the Mail app can automatically update every 15 minutes. Its either that or use the GMAIL app for GMAIL and you will get instant updates.

Axel F.

May 10, 2021 6:58 PM in response to Axel Foley

Thanks for the reply. I'm fine with it only updating when the app is open. The problem is that it's only updating one way now. With MBP Mail App open and iPhone Mail App open, I can delete on the phone and see it update on the MBP. But if I delete on the MBP, it will never update on the phone, even with swiping to refresh etc. Days later, the email I deleted on the MBP will still show as unread on the phone, even with the app open and refreshing it. It has only been like this for a couple of weeks.

May 10, 2021 10:48 PM in response to fishysammay

fishysammay Said:

"Gmail not updating in Mail App on iPhone: Hello, if I delete an email on the iPhone, that change shows up on the MBP. [...]"

-------

Use an App Password?:

If you are unable to get this to operate 100% as intended, it is likely because you need to use a new App Password(something typical after updates and installations). As an example, here is the site for gmailSign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

Gmail not updating in Mail App on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.