You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word 365 hangs and have to use the force quit option over and over. continues after Apple support call.

How do I rectify Word 365 hanging. Apple support had me restart on safe mode etc but it doesn’t work.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 11, 2021 9:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 10:08 AM

Yes, I understood that you contacted Apple and they suggested booting up your Mac in Safe Mode, and that didn't resolve the issue. That's why I suggested that you contact Microsoft.

FWIW, I have been using Microsoft 365 for years now and have not experienced this issue with any of my Macs, even with those running the latest version of macOS Big Sur.

Two other things you can try before contacting Microsoft:

1. Create a new user account on your Mac. Log out of your current account, and then, log back in with the new account. Trying accessing the Word app now to see if you can close it without any issues.
  2. Run an EtreCheck report. If you need assistance with interpreting its results, you can post those here. EtreCheck is a diagnostics tool that may determine if there is something amiss with your Mac that you may not be aware of and potentially the reason for the problem with Word.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2021 10:08 AM in response to eggplant1

Yes, I understood that you contacted Apple and they suggested booting up your Mac in Safe Mode, and that didn't resolve the issue. That's why I suggested that you contact Microsoft.

FWIW, I have been using Microsoft 365 for years now and have not experienced this issue with any of my Macs, even with those running the latest version of macOS Big Sur.

Two other things you can try before contacting Microsoft:

1. Create a new user account on your Mac. Log out of your current account, and then, log back in with the new account. Trying accessing the Word app now to see if you can close it without any issues.
  2. Run an EtreCheck report. If you need assistance with interpreting its results, you can post those here. EtreCheck is a diagnostics tool that may determine if there is something amiss with your Mac that you may not be aware of and potentially the reason for the problem with Word.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

May 12, 2021 7:17 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the EtreCheck suggestion - will note for future use. I had already created a new user account but it didn't solve the problem, and couldn't make much headway with the online automated chat with Microsoft. However, I did see a suggestion about converting documents to libreoffice and then to the word 365 version and that seems to work for now. thanks.

Word 365 hangs and have to use the force quit option over and over. continues after Apple support call.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.