You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Results after changing the name of macOS user account and home folder

I believe I correctly renamed my MacOS user account and home folder, having followed these directions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548 

But in System Preferences, Apple ID: the account name has not been updated in the device list. I loaded a backup of my prior machine to my new machine, and it used the name of the prior machine. I did this once before and I think the old name was updated to the new name...?after a delay? Or is there something more I need to do?

Until it is updated, the Apple Support sites, and Find My, have the old device name listed (with a "2" appended).

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 11, 2021 10:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 2:42 AM

I tried this. I changed the name of my MBP.

It did not update automatically.

I then signed out of iCloud in this mac and signed in again and it updated.

So it looks like that is what you have to do too.

Similar questions

6 replies

May 12, 2021 6:09 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Maybe this image will help clarify what name I am trying to sync with the other names. I used the vocabulary from the help page, the link in my original post. I checked the Sharing settings as you mention and changed it there. It did not change it here.show

Good news: the device name has been updated in "Find My" on the web, but not in the location shown in this image.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

Results after changing the name of macOS user account and home folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.