You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Increasing Font size for Mac Desktop, Tool bar, non-application locations

Does anyone know where to find / increase the default font setting for the Mac display, tool bar and other locations [that are not application fonts]? I just upgraded to Big Sur, searched throughout System Preferences and could not find it - I know it's in my Mac somewhere!! - Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 9:16 AM

There is no way to change the font size in many parts of the OS, like the menu bar.

The only thing one can do is change the display resolution in System Preferences->Displays, from the "default for display option" to "scaled" and choose one of the available options. You can try changing from default to one of the options to the left of it.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2021 9:16 AM in response to ForLearning

There is no way to change the font size in many parts of the OS, like the menu bar.

The only thing one can do is change the display resolution in System Preferences->Displays, from the "default for display option" to "scaled" and choose one of the available options. You can try changing from default to one of the options to the left of it.

May 13, 2021 9:30 AM in response to ForLearning

Howdy,

If you want to make everything bigger on your Mac, you can change the effective resolution with a scaled resolution.

System Preferences > Display > Display (pane) > Scaled > Larger Text

If you don't see a resolution that works for you, you may want to try a program like EasyRes or SwitchRes.

The Menu Bar has it's own size setting (Default or Large).

System Preferences > Accessibility > Display (sidebar) > Display (pane) > Menu bar size

Fonts and Icons sizes for the Desktop can be changed with View Options.

View > Show View Options > Text size, and View > Show View Options > Icon size

I regularly use EasyRes and SwitchRes to change the screen resolution depending on what I'm doing. Their Menu Bar items make it very quick and easy to change the resolution (and size of things) on the fly.

I also like a bigger cursor: System Preferences > Accessibility > Display (sidebar) > Cursor (pane) > Cursor size

ivan

Increasing Font size for Mac Desktop, Tool bar, non-application locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.