You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate Data from 2013 MacBook Pro to new MacBook Air

Looking for advice on the easiest way to migrate everything from a 2013 MacPro running OS Catalina 10.15.7 to a new M1 Air. Can I use a Time Machine backup and migration assistant over USB3 when the OS on the older device isn’t the same (it can’t be updated to Big Sur). Do I select all the options including “System & Network” for the info to transfer. I don’t want Catalina on the new mac.

looking for advice.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 15, 2021 5:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 6:50 PM

Your backup drive is an ideal way to transfer your files. If you can do so at 'first run" then rather than creating a new user, you simply tell it "over there, on the backup" and it will fetch everything off your backup drive.

It makes no difference that the version of MacOS on the new computer is later.

if you cannot do this on first run then you must use Migration Assistant, and all your users will be created imported. Migration Assistant will NOT import into the current User -- it ALWAYS creates new Users. The selections are shown in this screenshot.

Your new Mac can not run older MacOS so you do NOT want to copy System Files.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 15, 2021 6:50 PM in response to Alan Musgrave

Your backup drive is an ideal way to transfer your files. If you can do so at 'first run" then rather than creating a new user, you simply tell it "over there, on the backup" and it will fetch everything off your backup drive.

It makes no difference that the version of MacOS on the new computer is later.

if you cannot do this on first run then you must use Migration Assistant, and all your users will be created imported. Migration Assistant will NOT import into the current User -- it ALWAYS creates new Users. The selections are shown in this screenshot.

Your new Mac can not run older MacOS so you do NOT want to copy System Files.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

May 16, 2021 7:31 AM in response to Alan Musgrave

When you take your new Mac out of the box and start it up for the first time, you will automatically launch Setup Assistant, because you do not yet have a User account on the new machine. (This is 'first run'.)

Rather than creating a NEW User, this is the IDEAL time to import your previous Users and data, and has very few problems.

If left until later, you will already have created a NEW User, and your previous User from your old computer will NOT be merged with it when copied over with Migration Assistant. The old User will be copied as a completely distinct User. That can be slightly more complex.

May 16, 2021 9:25 AM in response to Alan Musgrave

Preferences settings are generally backward and forward compatible, and the exceptions are usually simple to deal with. Those you choose to import should "just work". Those you choose NOT to import will take a default, and may have to be set up manually.

If any seem to be trouble, just actively change the settings and close the window. That should force the settings to be re-written under the later version of the Preferences. (Preferences Versions are recorded with preferences to help ensure the software behaves "the right way").

The system itself will NOT be copied with Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant. MacOS does not modify its code, EVER. All the customizations are recorded in preferences files. In later versions of MacOS, the invariant System code is written to a separate Volume, and that Volume is double-locked. You don't need no stinkin' third-party Virus Scanner.

May 17, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I'm thinking now it might be easier to do a clean install. I'm already on iCloud for Photos and can move my documents to iCloud. Most of the rest can be reinstalled. I will need to move my music over manually somehow. This used to be easy with iTunes but not sure with Music in Catalina 10.15.7 and Big Sur.

Any thoughts on the best way to move Music over. I don't subscribe to Apple Music but a lot was purchased through iTunes.

Migrate Data from 2013 MacBook Pro to new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.