You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to login to mac

My imac won't login, attempting safe mode has on impact. I have booted to recovery mode, scanned the disks and it came back okay. It had been just taking a while to login, now it never makes it. I bought the imac in 2014. I figure it may be time for an OS re-install, but I'd like to have an opportunity to save files before I do that.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 17, 2021 6:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 6:36 AM

Did you turn on Filevault?

If not, you will be able to at minimum run Target disk mode on the Mac (hold the T key at startup) and connect to another Mac to rescue the files.

Alternatively, you can look this article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

2 replies

May 17, 2021 6:39 AM in response to B4Sunrise

If it is a wrong password issue - Restart in Recovery Mode again only this time look in Top Menu for Utilities >> Terminal. With Terminal open type " resetpassword " as one word and without quotation marks. The hit the Return key and follow the prompts. Remember the New Password as it will be needed on a re-boot.

Unable to login to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.