You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using my Macbook air and iMac together

So I want to link my Macbook air 13 inch (late 2017) with my iMac 21,5 inch (late 2015), both on macOS Big Sur 11.3.1, so I can use them together and work with two screens. Both have a thunderbolt access and I have got a cable for it. I attached the cable to both the devices but I can't figure out how to use them as one screen. In my settings it isn't showing up the "arrangement" tab and the "search monitors" button also isn't doing the job. Does someone know if it is even possible to link them together or does someone have the solution for me?

Posted on May 18, 2021 11:09 AM

2 replies

May 18, 2021 11:37 AM in response to Roqaldo

...with my iMac 21,5 inch (late 2015),

The last iMacs that could serve as a monitor for another Mac were the Mid 2014 models.

Indeed High Sierra is required on the iMac used as the external monitor. The video source Mac can, based on many reports here, run up to macOS Catalina. (Ref: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251899135?answerId=253627813022&page=1)

However, only one poster provided credible evidence that they were able to achieve TDM to a supported iMac from a video-source Mac using Big Sur.

Using my Macbook air and iMac together

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.