You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost password of Lacie external backup drive, set up with Time Machine

I used Time Machine to setup and backup my MacBook Pro on my Lacie external backup drive, but I no longer recall the password to access the drive. Due to it being encrypted, there is no way of recovering the backup. I would to restore the external drive to factory settings, to be able to use it again.

I contacted Seagate/Lacie support, and since I did the initial backup setup with Time Machine, they advised me to request support on this from Apple Support.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 21, 2021 12:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2021 1:03 PM

Ray1822 wrote:

I used Time Machine to setup and backup my MacBook Pro on my Lacie external backup drive, but I no longer recall the password to access the drive. Due to it being encrypted, there is no way of recovering the backup. I would to restore the external drive to factory settings, to be able to use it again.
I contacted Seagate/Lacie support, and since I did the initial backup setup with Time Machine, they advised me to request support on this from Apple Support.

You can try —

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/19.0/mac/10.15

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 21, 2021 1:03 PM in response to Ray1822

Ray1822 wrote:

You can try —

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/19.0/mac/10.15

Lost password of Lacie external backup drive, set up with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.