You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K 2021

I’m unable to get Dolby Atmos with a Sonos Arc. Has anyone else had this problem?

I called support but they were unable to help.

Posted on May 22, 2021 12:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2021 2:59 AM

Dolby Atmos from Apple TV requires a direct HDMI connection to the audio system, or an HDMI-eARC connection when using passthrough through a TV, because of the format of Atmos that Apple TV uses, which requires more bandwidth than a regular HDMI-ARC connection (~3 Mbps) will facilitate. Sonos relies on the TV being the hub, having only HDMI-in.

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

• Apple TV 4K →[HDMI 2.0 or 2.1]→ TV with eARC →[HDMI eARC: ~37 Mbps max]→ Audio system

or

↘︎[HDMI 2.0 or 2.1]→ TV

or

• Apple TV 4K →[HDMI 2.0 or 2.1]→ AV Receiver →[HDMI 2.0 or 2.1]→ TV
6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 22, 2021 2:59 AM in response to joefromroselle

Dolby Atmos from Apple TV requires a direct HDMI connection to the audio system, or an HDMI-eARC connection when using passthrough through a TV, because of the format of Atmos that Apple TV uses, which requires more bandwidth than a regular HDMI-ARC connection (~3 Mbps) will facilitate. Sonos relies on the TV being the hub, having only HDMI-in.

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

• Apple TV 4K →[HDMI 2.0 or 2.1]→ TV with eARC →[HDMI eARC: ~37 Mbps max]→ Audio system

or

↘︎[HDMI 2.0 or 2.1]→ TV

or

• Apple TV 4K →[HDMI 2.0 or 2.1]→ AV Receiver →[HDMI 2.0 or 2.1]→ TV

Jun 28, 2021 3:59 AM in response to joefromroselle

Dear Joe, To be honest I have the same issue with the setup of my new Apple TV 4K (2021) and older (2018) Samsung TV with only ARC HDMI and a new Sonos Arc. The TV doesn’t even pass through ARC correctly so I am not getting not even near the Dolby Atmos experience I get if I stream the ATV audio via my two HomePods. The issue is not with Apple TV but rather my older TV and Sonos ARC that didn’t support any other input. The solution would be to get a new modern TV that supports eARC. That would be a big investment that I am not ready to do as the video of the existing TV is still perfect and gives me 4k Ultra HD resolution. I also love my Apple the where I do all my streaming (actually for ages since I owned all ATV versions so far). So the solution I am looking for and will test soon is the HDFury Arcana HDF0160, HDMI Scaler and eARC Adapter that judged on some forums and videos should do the trick. It is about 190 USD but at least I don’t have to purchase a new TV that will be into thousands of dollars investment. Once I receive it and test it I will follow up. How ever the expletive one gets from the new ATV is superb so I would not change to any other streaming devices.

Jun 29, 2021 2:11 AM in response to joefromroselle

Dear Joe and Apple, on the other hand I have made some research. Several Audiophiles stated after testing Apple TV 4K (2021) with a non eARC capable TV and Sonos ARC that the new Apple TV with a software update could allow a passthrough via only ARC HDMI TVs to the Sonos arc but this options for now is not available. Hence subject to Apple willingness and their engineers updating the software you will not need to return your ATV Joe. I am should receive my below mentioned device (HDFury Arcana) tomorrow so will come back with my test results.

Jun 29, 2021 6:46 AM in response to joefromroselle

I agree that Apple needs to update the software to make it work. On the other hand I have many friends who used Roku, Amazon or Google devices till they converted to ATV. There is no comparison in the ease of use, quality and customer experience - in my view. Have been using each version of Apple TV so far, actually that is the only streaming device I use. Cancelled cable, terrestrial etc. receivers a long time ago. New to Sonos Arc hence will give Apple time to fix it ... till then will test the HDFury Arcana that I can resell or use in another room once not needed for the Sonos Arc. Before I had Sonos Playbar with Sonos 1s and SUB for years ... never had any issues with the quality of sound. However once I tried the Dolby Atomos via ATV and the two HomePods (I owned already), the quality and the immersive experience is such that I had to change my player to Arc :-) .. I continue using the HomePods in an other room. Good luck with your set up, hope Apple will send a software update soon.

Apple TV 4K 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.