You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with mounting my External Hard Drive

I accidentally unplugged my Toshiba Canvio Advance 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 without unouting it.

I have a macbook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) with Big Sur 11.3.1

Now it shows up in disk utility. It wont let me verify, repair, or mount it from the disk utility app.

When i try to unmount it from terminal here is what happens:

leahmurdoch@leahs-MacBook-Pro ~ % diskutil unmount /dev/disk1s2

Volume Macintosh HD - Data on disk1s2 failed to unmount: dissented by PID 1 (/sbin/launchd)

Dissenter parent PPID 0 (kernel_task)

Here is what happens when I try to mount it from terminal:

leahmurdoch@leahs-MacBook-Pro ~ % diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2

Volume Macintosh HD - Data on /dev/disk1s2 mounted

And here is what happens when I tried the third option of quickly unmounting/mounting it from terminal:

leahmurdoch@leahs-MacBook-Pro ~ % diskutil unmount /dev/disk1s2;diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2;echo "Remounted Volume"

Volume Macintosh HD - Data on disk1s2 failed to unmount: dissented by PID 1 (/sbin/launchd)

Dissenter parent PPID 0 (kernel_task)

Volume Macintosh HD - Data on /dev/disk1s2 mounted

Remounted Volume

These are things I tried from here:

https://osxdaily.com/2013/05/13/mount-unmount-drives-from-the-command-line-in-mac-os-x/

None of these worked. I have tried using a new cable connector and restarting my computer.

Im at a loss. Can anyone please help me?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 24, 2021 7:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 2:35 AM

just an update: i found advice that worked. the only thing!

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/222950/418810

Similar questions

1 reply

Problem with mounting my External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.