You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clean up after Apple migration Assistant on my new iMac?

I just set up a new 2021 M1 iMac, replacing a 2015 21-inch iMac. The Migration Assistant appeared to hang during the setup, so I cancelled it and re-ran it standalone after setup had completed. I now have 168GB of my storage listed as 'Other' taking up far more drive space than on my old iMac. Is there a way to identify duplicate or other unnecessary files created during the data migration that I can safely delete or will I need to erase the drive, reinstall MacOS and restore from a Time Machine backup?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 24, 2021 12:09 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 24, 2021 3:25 PM in response to G01ngG0n3

I think you have to do a clean install and do a migration assistance Again.

if you do a time machine backup and use it after the clean install, it will just put everything back including the "other" files.

I also bought a new Macbook and did Migration Assistance but since it moved the Library folder and other stuff from my old mac, I had issues on the new macbook. Had to do a clean install and move files manually with usb afterwards

May 24, 2021 5:06 PM in response to babowa

Figured it out; Go to 'Macintosh HD/Users'. There may be a 'Deleted Users' folder, which will contain a copy of user(s) previously copied. I compared the contents of the deleted user folder with the actual user folder (mine) from the initial migration for any non-duplicate files. After confirming no differences I deleted the duplicate folder under 'Deleted Users' which was causing the over-utilization of my disk space. Keep in mind that this was an instance where the Migration Assistant was run manually a second time after the first run under the initial setup on the new iMac appeared to hang, creating the user directory duplication.

May 24, 2021 4:25 PM in response to G01ngG0n3

The easiest way out of the mess is to go to recovery, erase the entire drive, download/install the OS and then, during setup, use Setup Assistant to migrate your data. That will work correctly; using Migration Assistant later always leaves a mess because a user account is already set up and it will set up another so you wind up with duplicates galore. Trying to sort through that mess is more than frustrating; before I knew better, I did that and after a week of trying to fix it, I finally erased and did it again using Setup Assistant. That worked.

How do I clean up after Apple migration Assistant on my new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.