You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off messenger

we have 2 iPads with the same Apple ID, can I close messenger on one of the iPads without creating a new Apple ID on it.

thank you

Sharon

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on May 25, 2021 12:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 2:20 AM

First, Facebook Messenger is a third-party App. As such, you may be best advised to seek assistance with this App directly from the App Developer - or support resources provided by Facebook.

That aside…

Sharing an AppleID is a very bad idea! Sharing an AppleID causes many practical and data security issues - not limited to unintended sharing of data and sensitive personal information such as Contacts, Calendars , Reminders, Notes, Messages, passwords and keychain data.

The Golden Rule: Don’t share an AppleID between users. Each user should have their own AppleID (and iOS devices) for their own exclusive use - linked to their own primary email (and secondary/recovery email addresses and trusted telephone numbers). 

If you are sharing an AppleID, you would be best advised to separate your digital identities - and if necessary create/configure a new AppleID for other users with whom you are currently sharing an AppleID:

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

If your objective in sharing an AppleID account is to share App purchases, Apple services and subscriptions, you can do so properly using Apple’s Family Sharing features:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 25, 2021 2:20 AM in response to Shazzy56

First, Facebook Messenger is a third-party App. As such, you may be best advised to seek assistance with this App directly from the App Developer - or support resources provided by Facebook.

That aside…

Sharing an AppleID is a very bad idea! Sharing an AppleID causes many practical and data security issues - not limited to unintended sharing of data and sensitive personal information such as Contacts, Calendars , Reminders, Notes, Messages, passwords and keychain data.

The Golden Rule: Don’t share an AppleID between users. Each user should have their own AppleID (and iOS devices) for their own exclusive use - linked to their own primary email (and secondary/recovery email addresses and trusted telephone numbers). 

If you are sharing an AppleID, you would be best advised to separate your digital identities - and if necessary create/configure a new AppleID for other users with whom you are currently sharing an AppleID:

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

If your objective in sharing an AppleID account is to share App purchases, Apple services and subscriptions, you can do so properly using Apple’s Family Sharing features:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

May 25, 2021 2:01 AM in response to LotusPilot

Sorry my question was not clear enough.

My husband an myself both have our own iPads and share the same Apple ID. Facebook Messenger is open and anything coming through Messenger goes on both of our iPads. My husband doesn’t want to see my messages and doesn’t use Messenger at all.

Is there a way I can stop messages coming through his iPad and only come through on mine. We would like to keep the same Apple ID if possible.

Thank you.

Turn off messenger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.