You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple mail view column settings .. question

in apple mail, i cannot ever get the columns i set to appear to a set size and keep them like that.

i have smart mailboxes i use to sort mail by date and i create a new tab for each of those. but the columns will not remain the same size that i set when i create other tabs of the same smart mailbox or if i view another mailbox in the same tab and go back to the previous mailbox the columns default to something else.

this is annoying, very. when i open mail i want to see my existing tabs, with the columns/order/size that i set for that mailbox.

don't understand why there aren't settings in apple mail to do that.

if removing my cache in apple mail might help, please post some instructions ? I could try that.

but want to note this: i have POP email, so i won't do anything that could wipe out the 30,000+ emails i've stored in the v7 mail folder.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 25, 2021 12:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 27, 2021 7:53 AM

Here is what I just tried, and seems to work.

Now it does require an initial setup, but appears to then remain.

Open a Smart mailbox and adjust the columns exactly how you like them.

Now add a new tab, open a regular mailbox and adjust the columns just like the other tab.

You can now create as many tabs as you like, and they will all look the same.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 27, 2021 7:53 AM in response to zero7404

Here is what I just tried, and seems to work.

Now it does require an initial setup, but appears to then remain.

Open a Smart mailbox and adjust the columns exactly how you like them.

Now add a new tab, open a regular mailbox and adjust the columns just like the other tab.

You can now create as many tabs as you like, and they will all look the same.

May 25, 2021 12:16 PM in response to zero7404

I cannot reproduce this.

While I don't usually use Mail in Column Layout, I occasionally do and columns stay as I set them.

Furthermore, with several tabs, each of them always stays as I set it.

I quit and restart Mail, and the same tabs as before are there, and all the columns in each are as before.

MAYBE.. you have one or two of these boxes checked in System Preferences->General? I think that would explain it.

If that is the case, uncheck them and see how things go.

May 25, 2021 12:36 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

i had the "Close windows" option checked in sys prefs. does this impact tabs and columns setup in apps like Apple Mail ?

my problem originates after i choose another mailbox folder within a tab that's already open. what is happening is that apple mail 'remembers' the columns sizes and arrangement of each mailbox item listed on the left pane, even the smart mailboxes.

i can go thru choosing a mailbox and configure columns again the way i want, and try spinning off new tabs with the same column layout (that way, all the columns and sizes are in the same place as the other tab), but when i switch to a different mailbox in the tab, the arrangement changes to what's remembered for the mailbox.

it is painful to have to sit there and resize all my columns the same across all the tabs.

if you just kept hitting + to generate several new tabs, you will see the layout is identical, but if you switch to a different mailbox in one of those new tabs, you will see what i am talking about.

and just to make sure, i have my mail preview at the bottom, not on the right.

May 26, 2021 1:16 AM in response to zero7404

I created a bunch of tabs, with the columns selected, their location and widths different on each tab.

I could select different mailboxes and the tabs, not the mailboxes, maintained their settings. I can have the same mailbox in two tabs with different columns, too.

But... Smart Mailboxes are treated differently... I will have to do some more testing. This is getting interesting.

May 27, 2021 7:43 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

after i unchecked 'close windows ..' in sysprefs, after quitting and restarting mail, i see a different behavior now when mail starts:

the tabs recreate themselves one after the other until all my previous tabs opened are there again.

but my concern/question is still there .... i want to configure the columns/sorting/spacing the same for all my tabs, so that as i view all tabs those views 'remember' the layout. and i cannot make them all common or the same.

it's easier on the eye when scrolling thru tabs to look in the same place for email senders, email dates, subjects, etc.

to manually do this with each mailbox takes time and exact mouse positioning that becomes cumbersome. cannot reiterate how annoying it is if those tabs were setup and then mistakenly closed or you navigate to a different mailbox within the tab, which resets the columns/sorts/etc.

i don't know how outlook handles this, but i will experiment with it on my mac to see. perhaps it's a better mail client software in that regard.

May 30, 2021 10:51 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

thanks for checking that. i recall doing the same in the past, but i think what helped for me is to uncheck the option in sysprefs general as you pointed out. looks like a global macos setting so that also affects behavior of other apps.

some parts of macos have nuances like this one and the lack of remembering window size and position for non-apple apps.

thanks again for the help, i appreciate it !

apple mail view column settings .. question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.