You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail keeps crashing when deleting emails.

Mail frequently crashes when I am deleting emails, always with the same inexplicable (to me) error message.

Is anyone else experiencing this or can otherwise advise me as to whether it is macOS Big Sur or something under my control? And, of course, maybe what I can do to prevent this occurring so regularly?

I think that this started with the installation of Big Sur but that maybe a false memory.

Application Specific Information:

dyld3 mode

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSRegularExpression enumerateMatchesInString:options:range:usingBlock:]: nil argument'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

Thanks in advance.

macOS Big Sur v11.4 (20F71), Mail v14.0 (3654.100.0.2.22)

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 28, 2021 8:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 8:57 AM

Are you using Filters or Smart Boxes? If so, try to disable them. If this gets rid of the issue, try enabling them one by one and test until you find the Filter or Smart Box that is creating the issue. At that point delete the Filter or Smart Box and recreate it.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 28, 2021 8:57 AM in response to iBozz

Are you using Filters or Smart Boxes? If so, try to disable them. If this gets rid of the issue, try enabling them one by one and test until you find the Filter or Smart Box that is creating the issue. At that point delete the Filter or Smart Box and recreate it.

Jun 1, 2021 3:20 AM in response to 6x6

Thanks, 6x6.

I'm not using Smart Boxes but I do use filters, if by that you mean Rules.

The deletions which cause the crashes are all in the Inbox, not from my subfolders.

I have a fair number (which don't always work) so I'll work my way through them as you suggest.

I'll report back in due course.

Mail keeps crashing when deleting emails.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.