You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Macbook Air (2020) so hot?!

I am only using Evernote, Spotify... sometimes just a browser... I can hear the fan spinning..

it's warm, and I can't use it on my lap.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 31, 2021 1:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 1:59 AM

There might be a Run-Away Process or Application. Suggest opening the Activity Monitor >> View >> View ALL Processes. Look in CPU tab for unusual CPU usage and the Process corresponding to the usage and do the same in the Memory tab. This will help to identify the application or process. Understand - the Run Away process is probably the cause of the extra heat the computer is experiencing.

Second step would the Restart the Computer in Safe Mode . This will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extension and Fonts. It will load slowly - normal. Once logged in the computer will look and perform differently - also normal. Run this way for 10 - 15 minutes and test. If the computer appear to run not at hot - there might be an issue with your account.

Lastly must ask, Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 31, 2021 1:59 AM in response to CupofMintTea

There might be a Run-Away Process or Application. Suggest opening the Activity Monitor >> View >> View ALL Processes. Look in CPU tab for unusual CPU usage and the Process corresponding to the usage and do the same in the Memory tab. This will help to identify the application or process. Understand - the Run Away process is probably the cause of the extra heat the computer is experiencing.

Second step would the Restart the Computer in Safe Mode . This will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extension and Fonts. It will load slowly - normal. Once logged in the computer will look and perform differently - also normal. Run this way for 10 - 15 minutes and test. If the computer appear to run not at hot - there might be an issue with your account.

Lastly must ask, Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

Why is my Macbook Air (2020) so hot?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.