You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Additional monitor for a new 24" iMac

Does anyone have a recommendation for an external monitor to use with my new 24" iMac when it arrives next week? And how is it connected to the new iMac? What cable or adaptor is needed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 6:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 6:33 AM

Pretty much any should work with an adapter.

I am pretty sure that a Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C monitor may be a bit expensive and hard to find.

Apple has an adapter, though:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

10 replies

Jun 3, 2021 10:23 AM in response to andya41

Actually I was very helpful, because you have not stated what your needs are or what you intend to use your computer and we are not mind readers you need to do your own research. I'd begin looking at Costco or any retailers in your area, another option is talking to www.macsales.com and asking if they can help you find one that suits their needs.

Good luck to you.

Jun 3, 2021 11:48 AM in response to andya41

You're welcome.

I personally run dual displays and have for years. IMHO the best setup is to have matching sized displays side by side in extended desktop mode. I arrange them with certain app windows (Music, Photos, etc..) on the extended display and leave the main display open for Safari or whatever project I'm working on.

Two other things to be aware of with dual displays and window management are,

1) Spaces. I keep the Mission Control Space disabled and manually place windows where I want them.

(maybe I've been using dual displays for to long, but I've always detest Spaces)

2) macOS. The earlier macOS's were better at restoring widows to there former location, size and state.

(I'm not sure what's up with 10.15 and 11, but after a restart they both fail to remember this)

Additional monitor for a new 24" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.