You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Occasionally getting washed out or faded display color

Hi, I have MacBook Pro Mid 2012 with os Catalina 10.15.7 installed. Recently I started facing a problem with my display. Occasionally I am getting faded or washed out negative appearing color on my display. It automatically resolves on restarting. It stays normal for sometime then the problem starts again. Sometime the display stays normal even until the whole battery is drained out of charge. It started few days back when I put my MacBook on charging and left it for 2 hours while it was on. When I came back and woke it up from sleep mode, the screen looked washed out and negative in appearance. The display stays normal most of the time but the problem occurs mostly when it gets overheated or after plugging in my charger. I am still confused about the main cause of the problem. What could be the possible solution if the problem is due to charging or overheating?

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 5:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 5:06 AM

Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, and recent kernel panic information. The settings stored in NVRAM depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans, and other features.

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, 

system extensions not required by macOS,

and fonts not installed by macOS. It  also does a basic check of your startup disk, 

similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, 

which will be created again automatically as needed.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2021 5:06 AM in response to saurav75

Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Settings that can be stored in NVRAM include sound volume, display resolution, startup-disk selection, time zone, and recent kernel panic information. The settings stored in NVRAM depend on your Mac and the devices that you're using with your Mac.

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans, and other features.

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, 

system extensions not required by macOS,

and fonts not installed by macOS. It  also does a basic check of your startup disk, 

similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, 

which will be created again automatically as needed.

Jun 9, 2021 1:45 PM in response to dominic23

Hi I have already tried the above mentioned tips by you previously without any benefit. This did not solve the problem. Lately, I have figured out the cause of the display fading or getting washed out. It happens due to heating of the MacBook. Whenever I use my MacBook for around 4-5 hours at a stretch or connects to a power supply while using it; the temperature gets around 75-90 degree C. The display issue starts while the MacBook gets heated up. Again I have to shut down my MacBook down and let it cool overnight. Then I am able to re-use it next morning without having any display issues until it heats up back. I am not sure whether any of the internal component is damaged due to the heating up issue. Could you pls suggest me any tips for preventing MBP from heating up to such level. I always use an air cooler while using my MBP, still it gets hotter.

Occasionally getting washed out or faded display color

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.