You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect my old apple 23 inch cinema display to my new Apple Mac Pro 2019?

How can I connect my old apple 23 inch cinema display to my new Apple Mac Pro 2019?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 6:23 AM

5 replies

Jun 7, 2021 8:44 AM in response to Urbanbase

The first and third ones you referenced are "Dual-Link" adapters. They are intended for a slightly different case (where the signal must be split in two for Dual Link) so they may not be optimal for what you actually want, single link for up to 1920 wide. The first and third are all not available, because displays are not using Dual-Link DVI much any more.

The second one looks like it should work.

As for the persistence, be sure to adjust the brightness of the display. If you do not connect a USB-A connection to the display, use the buttons on the display itself. If you connect USB-A connection the display software will provide a brightness slider.

Jun 7, 2021 7:19 AM in response to Urbanbase

ThunderBolt-3 to DVI adapter gets you the picture. It does not need the much more complex and expensive Dual-Link DVI because it is 1920 wide or under.

If this is the really old crystal and snow model, the power adapter (required) presents a DVI interface to the outside world.

The additional ports allow the ports on the display to come alive.

If your graphics card has a direct HDMI output, you MIGHT be able to use a HDMI to DVI adapter, but I would not recommend that route. HDMI was invented for HD TV sets, and is fraught with peril especially at higher speeds and higher resolutions.

Jun 7, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant, It is the 23 inch DVI late 2005 aluminium frame cinema display. (1920x1200)

I have already tried to use a HDMI to DVI adapter into the graphics card hdmi output (AMD Radeon Pro W5500X 8 GB) and the results are not great at all. The image of the desktop background is clearly visible behind any document that I open as if it is slightly transparent and when I close any document, jpg image, pdf or an internet page, there is an outline left on the screen of the closed documents which very slowly disappears after a few minutes. This is surely not a great way to work.

Your first option sounds promising. Would you be able to recommend a ThunderBolt-3 to DVI adapter that would work without any problems?

I have seen these 3 items online but I am unsure which one of the 3 would be most reliable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CAC-1510-Adapter-Displays-3840x2160-2560x1600/dp/B08B7FSVTL/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=club%2B3d%2Bcac-1510&qid=1623070487&sr=8-1&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B0768RFQ83/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=USB+C+to+DVI+adapter&qid=1623079436&s=electronics&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085HH1LQW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B085HH1LQWp13NParams&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVEFNRlY3Qlc5VFVLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDMyNjk5M0hXMk04NzVHRzdCQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTIzODg2MzlNWEhVQlhRNUVFRCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbDImYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Thanks again

Jun 7, 2021 10:51 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your prompt reply,

I just wanted to mention that I just tried the same setup using the HDMI to DVI adapter with my 23 inch apple cinema display into the hdmi output of an Acer laptop that I have and the image of the apple cinema display is absolutely perfect. There is no visible background desktop images when I open documents and there is no outline left on the screen whatsoever after closing documents or web pages. Everything seems crisp and clear. So it is apparent that something is not completely compatible using the same set up with the Mac Pro (2019).

With regards to the USB-A connection that you mentioned, I have indeed connected the display to a USB-A port on the Mac Pro and as you correctly said there is a slider provided to control the brightness but even though I use the slider I am still having the same visual problems with the desktop background and outlines of closed documents lingering on the display.

With regards to the thunderbolt3 to DVI adapter. Is there any product that you could recommend yourself instead of the three that I mentioned?

Thanks again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.