You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration old to new Macbook Air

I am trying to move old MBA to new MBA. I have a TC BU on external disk. I was starting up the migration and all seemed to be OK. It recognized my old TC and the new external drive, and listed all the backups. I decided to check the MacOS level and needed to up date the one new to make them the same, 11.4.

I tried to restart the migration and the new MBA does not recognize the external drive now. I moved it back to the old one and all is OK, I even did a backup.

Any idea of why the new Mac won't recognize the external drive? I have been using it on my old system for months. Not sure what to do. I can go from Mac to Mac, but that will take forever.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 1:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 4:50 AM

Stupid me. At one point I moved my external back to the old Mac. When I moved it back to the new, turns out the USB-C cable was not seated. It is right next to power cable and I just did not seat it. Of course when I removed it, it created an issue with the backup. After I took care of that, the migration went extremely well.

Thanks for your reply

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2021 4:50 AM in response to tbirdvet

Stupid me. At one point I moved my external back to the old Mac. When I moved it back to the new, turns out the USB-C cable was not seated. It is right next to power cable and I just did not seat it. Of course when I removed it, it created an issue with the backup. After I took care of that, the migration went extremely well.

Thanks for your reply

Jun 8, 2021 2:31 PM in response to dennyjd01

Not sure.

Caution on the migration from Old to New. The Old is Intel CPU and New M1 Chip. Hope that is taken into account before possibly migrating everything as some older Apps, extensions and drivers may not be compatible with M1 Chip. It would be a shame to mess up an new machine with unintended muck.

Jun 8, 2021 4:34 PM in response to dennyjd01

You should not have to make any setting changes. If you did not use TM when setting up your new mac initailly(which is the best method) then you need to use Migration assistant later. It will move your files, apps, settings as needed automatically but will ask you to make a new user or replace (I usually pick replace) and then all is automatic. Not sure exactly what you did.

Migration old to new Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.