You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pair and update apple watch and iPhone

I can't get my watch to pair with my phone after failed attempt to update. I can't even open my watch

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 5:00 PM

1 reply

Jun 9, 2021 11:49 AM in response to yomamae

Hello Yomamae,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, after being unable to update your Apple Watch it won't pair to your iPhone. We'll do our best to assist with this.

When you say you can't even open your Apple Watch, what do you mean by this? Are you unable to open the Watch app on your iPhone or unlock the watch itself?

Were you able to follow these steps to try and pair it with your iPhone: Set up your Apple Watch

If you can get in to the Apple Watch, we'd try these steps (testing after each step):

1. Make sure the Time & Date are correct in Settings > General > Time & Date on both devices.
  2. Try setting up the Apple Watch as new instead of restoring the backup.
  3. Make sure there isn't a VPN or other security software connected/being used on the iPhone. If so, disconnect/disable them to test.
  4. Press and hold the Digital Crown and side button at the same time until you see the screen turn off, then release it. When the Apple logo appears, press and hold only the side button until you're prompted to 'Erase All Contents and Settings' then select this to erase the watch. This may take up to 20-30 seconds.
  5. Delete and reinstall the Watch app from the iPhone.
  6. Reset Network Settings from Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on the iPhone. (Note: This will remove all previously saved networks and passwords until you add them again.)

If the issue persists, then we'd recommend to Contact Apple Support

Hoping this helps out, take care!

pair and update apple watch and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.