You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless vs. Lossless

So I've been enjoying Apple's new update to their Apple Music audio quality, and I am pretty familiar with the different classifications; that lossless differs from hi-res lossless, and that you need an external DAC for hi-res lossless. But I've been browsing through some of my music and I noticed that for some songs, the classification is Lossless, but for others it is Hi-Res Lossless. Does this mean that the songs marked with just Lossless don't support Apples Hi-Res lossless? Or is there another explanation for the difference in classification?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 6:05 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 11, 2021 4:27 PM in response to RoadRunnerSD

Apple Lossless is CD quality: 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz

Apple Hi-Res Lossless: 24 bit at 192 kHz

When playing a Lossless or Hi-res Lossless via Apple Music on a Mac, you need a DAC connected via USB that supports the lossless sample rates. Some speakers have built in DAC. I have Audioengine A2+ speakers which support up to 24 bit at 48 kHz.

If you don't have decent speakers and equipment, don't worry about lossless. You will likely not hear a difference.

This article goes into much more detail: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/05/apple-music-announces-spatial-audio-and-lossless-audio/.

BTW, Apple TV 4K (2 Gen) does not support Hi-Res Lossless. My Living room audio equipment can support it -- only if AT4K could.

Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless vs. Lossless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.