You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to transfer music to new iPhone

I have a library of music that I can play on my iMac and on my old iPhone 6. However, I recently bought an iPhone 12 and when I open the music app on that device I only see a few of the songs. The only cord I currently have for the new phone is the power cord. Is there any way I can copy my complete music library to the new phone?

Marty"s iPhone

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 4:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 4:06 PM

Thank you for trying to help but much of the information you referred me to was out of date (ie references to Catalina) and I left out an important fact in my question and that was that because I only had a power cord, my phone did not appear in Finder or Music. I solved the problem by purchasing a Lightning to USB cable.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2021 4:06 PM in response to AnnieL2

Thank you for trying to help but much of the information you referred me to was out of date (ie references to Catalina) and I left out an important fact in my question and that was that because I only had a power cord, my phone did not appear in Finder or Music. I solved the problem by purchasing a Lightning to USB cable.

Jun 11, 2021 8:26 AM in response to MartinLiss

Salutations MartinLiss, 

We understand that you’re attempting to move music from a computer to your new iPhone. Below you’ll find a couple ways to do that. Syncing and Home Sharing are options that don’t require a subscription while using Apple Music does. If the music was purchased from the iTunes Store, you can also download it. 

Keep in mind, you can use any Apple-branded or MFi cable with a Lightning connector to charge and/or sync your iPhone 12. Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

Redownload music

If any questions come up, please let us know.

Jun 13, 2021 1:12 PM in response to MartinLiss

MartinLiss,

You are correct that one of the articles we provided referenced macOS Catalina. Starting with macOS Catalina syncing moved from iTunes to Finder. So without knowing which device and/or operating system you were using to sync that article gave you the option to choose instead of providing directions for only one or the other. We try to provide as complete of options as we can at one time because we want the situation to be resolved ASAP.

Thanks for letting us know of your success.

Good day to you.

Unable to transfer music to new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.