You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tables in Stickies

I've pasted data into a Sticky that came over in Table format. But it seems that table editing has been removed? I can't even delete the table! Nor is it possible to add anything to the Sticky, because the table is in the last position, and the last accessible edit position is the final cell of the table.

Ack! Is there any way to edit tables in Stickies under Big Sur? They gave it a new icon, so it doesn't seem to have been completely abandoned.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 2:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 11:23 AM

Howdy,

I can edit Tables in Stickies, but I see what your are saying. If the Table is the last thing in the Sticky, I can't get past it as pressing Return just adds lines to the last cell.

Try this:

1. Select the Table by dragging through it (highlight, select the whole thing).

1. Cut the Table with Command-X (so you can paste it back in).

3. Add some Returns so you have some blanks lines.

4. Use the Up Arrow to move the insertion point above the bottom of the Stickie. This will leave blank lines below the table.

5. Paste the Table back in.

You can now edit above, inside and below the Table.

I wasn't able to add rows but I could delete the bottom row by deleting it's contents then moving the insertion point below the table (click below it) then pressing Delete a couple of times. That only worked if the Table was NOT at the bottom of the Sticky.

ivan

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 13, 2021 11:23 AM in response to James6M

Howdy,

I can edit Tables in Stickies, but I see what your are saying. If the Table is the last thing in the Sticky, I can't get past it as pressing Return just adds lines to the last cell.

Try this:

1. Select the Table by dragging through it (highlight, select the whole thing).

1. Cut the Table with Command-X (so you can paste it back in).

3. Add some Returns so you have some blanks lines.

4. Use the Up Arrow to move the insertion point above the bottom of the Stickie. This will leave blank lines below the table.

5. Paste the Table back in.

You can now edit above, inside and below the Table.

I wasn't able to add rows but I could delete the bottom row by deleting it's contents then moving the insertion point below the table (click below it) then pressing Delete a couple of times. That only worked if the Table was NOT at the bottom of the Sticky.

ivan

Jun 13, 2021 9:42 PM in response to ivan54

That is helpful to me. I've realized that I couldn't cut the table because I wasn't selecting it all (it pasted in with no cell boundaries). And I never would have tries pressing Delete 8 times, the first 7 with no apparent effect, to remove a row!

I'm not sure I would call this "editing a table," though, as the capabilities are so limited. I wish we could still access things like this from 2006: https://www.macworld.com/article/178620/stickiestable.html

Tables in Stickies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.