You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A warning came up from “Apple security” that malware might be infecting my iPhone

After clicking on a website, a warning came up from “apple security” that malware might be infecting my iPhone, email, etc and said I had 1 1/2 minutes, with a decreasing time clock, to download an app to secure my information. Was this a scam?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 9:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 9:28 AM

Yes it was. It was someone or some company hoping to scare you into installing their app, which you don’t need as there is nothing wrong with your device. If it happens again clear the browsers cookies and data to get rid of it.

It is impossible for any web site to even know what software is installed or running on your device. A web page cannot know any such thing, but these less than decent (IMO) sellers hope to scare people into installing useless apps and signing up for subscription services. Or they are outright phishing scams hoping you’ll give out compromising personal information

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 12, 2021 9:28 AM in response to Newbritski

Yes it was. It was someone or some company hoping to scare you into installing their app, which you don’t need as there is nothing wrong with your device. If it happens again clear the browsers cookies and data to get rid of it.

It is impossible for any web site to even know what software is installed or running on your device. A web page cannot know any such thing, but these less than decent (IMO) sellers hope to scare people into installing useless apps and signing up for subscription services. Or they are outright phishing scams hoping you’ll give out compromising personal information

A warning came up from “Apple security” that malware might be infecting my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.