You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Mirroring control

I have a new Mac Mini whose screen I occasionally share with my family room TV through Apple TV. The problem is, the two are at least 60 feet away apart. I can start a slide show and just let it run but inevitably someone asks to see some specific file, and to make that change, I have to head to the room with the Mini.

Is there some way I can I can start mirroring Mini to Apple TV, and then control the Mini's screen while in the family room with my Macbook Air? I'm guessing not; setting up mirroring from the Air to the Mini terminates mirroring from the Mini to the Apple TV.

Is there some other way to control the Mini's screen while viewing it on the family room TV?

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 1:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 4:44 PM

Well, it worked . . . sort of.

I think the problem is, I'm asking the equipment/software to do more than it is designed to do. I have 170 GB of photos on a 5 bay Drobo, plus at least as much video, and 50 GB of music. Occasionally, with family or friends over, I'll put on a random slideshow of the photos as background. No one sits and watches all of it, just catching bits and pieces.

Before we moved to the new house, the computer and TV where about 20 feet from each other. When someone asked to see something specific, no big deal for me to go to the computer to bring it up. Since we moved, the computer is in an outdoor office away from the main house, at least 75 feet from the TV. I was hoping to have local control at the TV and while Screen Sharing gave me that, the connection was sketchy.

More information that you're interested in.

The Drobo is Thunderbolt connected to a new M1 Mini. I can start a slideshow from the Mini to the TV through a new Apple TV without problem. But when I added in the Macbook Air to control the Mini's screen, things slowed down considerably, no doubt, due in part, to the mini being at the outer limit of my network.

But it did work so I am declaring my problem solved. Thanks again, Axel.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 13, 2021 4:44 PM in response to Axel Foley

Well, it worked . . . sort of.

I think the problem is, I'm asking the equipment/software to do more than it is designed to do. I have 170 GB of photos on a 5 bay Drobo, plus at least as much video, and 50 GB of music. Occasionally, with family or friends over, I'll put on a random slideshow of the photos as background. No one sits and watches all of it, just catching bits and pieces.

Before we moved to the new house, the computer and TV where about 20 feet from each other. When someone asked to see something specific, no big deal for me to go to the computer to bring it up. Since we moved, the computer is in an outdoor office away from the main house, at least 75 feet from the TV. I was hoping to have local control at the TV and while Screen Sharing gave me that, the connection was sketchy.

More information that you're interested in.

The Drobo is Thunderbolt connected to a new M1 Mini. I can start a slideshow from the Mini to the TV through a new Apple TV without problem. But when I added in the Macbook Air to control the Mini's screen, things slowed down considerably, no doubt, due in part, to the mini being at the outer limit of my network.

But it did work so I am declaring my problem solved. Thanks again, Axel.

Jun 12, 2021 3:41 PM in response to Wmatthies

I am assuming that Mirroring to your Apple TV by using your MacBook Air is not an option. The data that you want to put on your TV screen is probably residing on your Mac Mini.

You may be able to achieve what you are looking for using the Screen Sharing method. Please review this guide published by Apple ➔ Screen Sharing between Macs. Once set up properly then you you should be able to control the Mac Mini's screen with your MacBook Air.

Axel F.

Screen Mirroring control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.