You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable USB drive with El Capitan will not boot.

I have a 2017 21.5" iMac that I want to create another partition and install El Capitan on to use some older software that I do still use, but rather infrequently.

I followed the directions in "How to create a bootable installer for macOS" and it created the bootable USB drive fine, with no errors, but when I restart the iMac and hold the option key down after I hear the startup chime in can navigate over to the El Capitan USB drive and when I click on it I get a circle with a line thru it.

I have created the USB drive 3 times using different downloads of the "Install OS X El Capitan" app and I get the same thing each time I try.

What could be the issue?

Thanks in advance;

Steve

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 4:46 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 12, 2021 5:24 PM in response to t.moe

Yes, El Capitan was released in 2015, but when I first got this IMac I had I set up the way I’m taking about.

the current OS on one partition and El Capitan on another.

I think I had a time machine back up that I restored to that partition.

I know I had it set up this way because I was still s

using FCP 7 to finish up some projects.

I then removed the partition because I didn’t think I needed it any more, but I now have to revisit a couple of this FCP projects.

Bootable USB drive with El Capitan will not boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.