You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I make the Return key of my iPad’s hardware keyboard behave like the on-screen keyboard?

In the iPadOS Messages app, tapping the on-screen keyboard’s Return makes a new line. On the hardware Magic Keyboard, Return acts like Enter and sends the message.

So, if you want new lines or paragraphs in your Message, you must bring up the on-board keyboard and use that in addition to the attached hardware keyboard, thus losing on-screen real estate.

(Note that the hardware keyboard’s Return creates a new paragraph when typing this post in Safari, for example)

I can see nothing in iPadOS Settings >> Keyboards or Settings >> Hardware keyboard to alter this behaviour.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 12:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 1:12 AM

I just found the answer here. Press Control + Return on the hardware keyboard to get a new line.

Apparently the convention in messaging apps has been to send when Return is pressed.

Similar questions

2 replies

Can I make the Return key of my iPad’s hardware keyboard behave like the on-screen keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.