You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

notes folders not syncing to icloud

Hi All

Big Sur - 11.3

I have a lot of notes in the ICloud section of my Mac notes app, organised in a number of folders. Most of these folders have been created on the Mac.

All the notes are synced with iCloud, but only some of the folders. This makes finding the notes on my other devices (IPad, Phone) next to impossible.

Obviously all the devices are syncing with iCloud or the notes would not sync. It is only the folders that are not working. I’ve confirmed that the folders also don’t exist on iCloud.com, so it is definitely from my Mac to ICloud that is the problem.

Any ideas? (I’d like to avoid signing out if iCloud if possible to avoid re-triggering a new sync of my photos library - which will take some days.)

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 11:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 5:11 AM

Folders created on " my Mac " section will not sync with iCloud.com and other devices signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network see the article Change preferences in Notes on Mac - Apple Support

notes stored on your Mac

You can store notes on your Mac instead of in an online account (such as your iCloud account). If you store notes on your Mac, they aren’t available on any of your other devices.

Notes stored on your Mac appear under On My Mac in the sidebar. If you don’t see On My Mac in the sidebar, you can enable it.

Choose Notes > Preferences, then select the “Enable the On My Mac account” checkbox.

Note: If you later disable the On My Mac account, notes in your other accounts (such as iCloud) are not affected.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 15, 2021 5:11 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Folders created on " my Mac " section will not sync with iCloud.com and other devices signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network see the article Change preferences in Notes on Mac - Apple Support

notes stored on your Mac

You can store notes on your Mac instead of in an online account (such as your iCloud account). If you store notes on your Mac, they aren’t available on any of your other devices.

Notes stored on your Mac appear under On My Mac in the sidebar. If you don’t see On My Mac in the sidebar, you can enable it.

Choose Notes > Preferences, then select the “Enable the On My Mac account” checkbox.

Note: If you later disable the On My Mac account, notes in your other accounts (such as iCloud) are not affected.

Jul 19, 2021 3:32 PM in response to TonyCollinet

I’m having the same problem. I create notes on my Mac and they won’t show up on any other device.

Right now I have my MacBook Pro (2014), iPad Pro (2021), iPhone 11 Pro, and iCloud all open.

If I create a note on the iPad, iPhone, or iCloud it immediately syncs to all devices including the MacBook. However, creating notes and folders on the MacBook (under the “All iCloud” account) will not sync anywhere else. I don’t have On My Mac enabled. I tried going to iCloud settings and unchecking Notes and rechecking it. All of the notes I created on the Mac disappeared.

If you found a solution, can you share? I feel like I am missing a setting somewhere. Thanks.

Jun 16, 2021 1:28 PM in response to tygb

Hi - I was talking about note and folders already in my iCloud section, not On My Mac. I WANT them to sync, and am not interested in On My Mac.

However, having gone to get some screenshots to demonstrate what I need I've discovered the problem is my own stupidity and I've not been properly expanding the subfolders. So you've inadvertatnly solved my problem, thanks for your reply.

🙂

notes folders not syncing to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.