You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Mac OS

I installed Linux on my Mac and wiped the hard drive but I need to use Mac OS again so is there a way to reinstall it. I have access to a m1 MacBook from this year in case that info is needed

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 3:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 2:06 AM

How to create a bootable installer for macOS. and understand - whatever version of macOS is the be Downloaded and being used to create the Bootable Installer Must Qualify to run that specific version of maOS.

Example - to create a USB Installer of Big Sur - the computer to perform this USB Installer must Qualify to run Big Sur. Now, you mention having a M1 computer access. That would mean ONLY Big Sur USB Installer could be created. It could not be used to download and / or create a Bootable Installer of say Catalina or Mojave etc.

Now, if the Bootable Installer is made - Question - the Destination computer for this installation from USB - Does it have the T2 Chip Touch ID ? Then read >> About Startup Security Utility

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2021 2:06 AM in response to Anorak_2

How to create a bootable installer for macOS. and understand - whatever version of macOS is the be Downloaded and being used to create the Bootable Installer Must Qualify to run that specific version of maOS.

Example - to create a USB Installer of Big Sur - the computer to perform this USB Installer must Qualify to run Big Sur. Now, you mention having a M1 computer access. That would mean ONLY Big Sur USB Installer could be created. It could not be used to download and / or create a Bootable Installer of say Catalina or Mojave etc.

Now, if the Bootable Installer is made - Question - the Destination computer for this installation from USB - Does it have the T2 Chip Touch ID ? Then read >> About Startup Security Utility

Installing Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.