You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iphone and forgotten apple

Hi,

A few days ago my iphone got stolen.

I tried to locate it using a friend device and declare device stolen, but in order to that - I had to sign in with AppleID password - which iforgot - so I could not declare my phone as stolen/lost & delete data.

After a few failed attempts I got a message from apple that now the account is a recovery period, and I have to wait a few days until i could retry to recover my password and restore all the data from Icloud.

Now, with a new Iphone, I cannot login to my original AppleID and have to wait for the recovery period to end (20.6).

Questions:

1) I did not declare phone is stolen via "FindMyIphone" - can the thief do a DFU mode and sign in into a new appleID account ?

2) If 1) is "yes", does that mean that I will not be able to declare a stolen device & delete all of its data, once I will retrieve the password, because now the device is in use of other apple ID ?

iPhone 8, 14

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 3:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 6:18 AM

If Find My Phone works properly, the thief shouldn't be able to get into the phone. They need your Apple ID and password to get past the Activation Lock.

Similar questions

1 reply

Stolen iphone and forgotten apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.