You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless and wired mouse not work well after Big Sur upgrade

I have been trying to work remotely for the last couple months after I did the Big Sur upgrade and having continued issues with my mouse, whether wired or wireless, I have the same problem.

the left button starts to not work, the cursor tracks fine and the right button works but, the left button doesn't work.

Funny thing @Apple is that if I move my iPhone 12 on the desktop, also happened with my iPhone 11,

the left button starts work again.

I found this out while making my 2nd call to Apple Support about the same thing.

All of a sudden the left button on the mouse started working.

I have done this several times picking up my iPhone and my iMac mouse left button starts working.

What up?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 1:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 1:29 PM

Sounds like RF (radio frequency) interference. It happens all the time. The radios in various devices just cause problems for other devices. Sometimes the fix is simply rearranging different electronics in the area - tvs, microwaves, iPhones.

You seem to be having trouble with both mouses. Are these of the Apple variety or third-party?

Does this happen if you log in to your computer as another user?

Try rebooting into Safe mode and see if the same thing happens then.

SAFE MODE

If you haven't rebooted into safe mode anytime recently you should try that to see if it helps. Let the Mac OS do drive directory repair, cache clearing and other misc housekeeping. Often just booting into safe mode and logging in, then immediately rebooting normally will resolve an issue.  You should do this with all your external peripherals disconnected but the keyboard and mouse. When you restart your Mac, press the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress bar.

Booting into Safe Mode… 

Use safe mode to isolate issues - Apple Support

Note– starting up in Safe mode could take 10 minutes or more. Be patient.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode? 

Restart your Macintosh and re-evaluate the issue.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2021 1:29 PM in response to srfrnr

Sounds like RF (radio frequency) interference. It happens all the time. The radios in various devices just cause problems for other devices. Sometimes the fix is simply rearranging different electronics in the area - tvs, microwaves, iPhones.

You seem to be having trouble with both mouses. Are these of the Apple variety or third-party?

Does this happen if you log in to your computer as another user?

Try rebooting into Safe mode and see if the same thing happens then.

SAFE MODE

If you haven't rebooted into safe mode anytime recently you should try that to see if it helps. Let the Mac OS do drive directory repair, cache clearing and other misc housekeeping. Often just booting into safe mode and logging in, then immediately rebooting normally will resolve an issue.  You should do this with all your external peripherals disconnected but the keyboard and mouse. When you restart your Mac, press the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress bar.

Booting into Safe Mode… 

Use safe mode to isolate issues - Apple Support

Note– starting up in Safe mode could take 10 minutes or more. Be patient.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode? 

Restart your Macintosh and re-evaluate the issue.

Wireless and wired mouse not work well after Big Sur upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.