You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I attach my 2015 Thunderbolt Monitor to a new 2021 MacBook Air with an adapter?

Can I attach my 2015 Thunderbolt Monitor to a new 2021 MacBook Air with an adapter? I am gettin conflicting information from searches.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 4:47 AM

Yes, the M1 chip in the 2020. It’s still on order. Thank you. I did confirm my monitor uses the Thunderbolt 2 and the MagSafe ends. I understand from further research that the MagSafe is not needed and I should be good to go with just the thunderbolt to USB-C.

5 replies

Jun 23, 2021 1:49 AM in response to FL-Grandma

You probably have the M1 2020 MacBook Air. As far as I know, there is no 2021 MacBook Air yet. For a thunderbold 2 display you need the “Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2” Adapter.

Note that “thunderbolt 2” and “mini display” ports looks identical, but they are not compatible. In case you buy a mini display adapter it won’t work.

Can I attach my 2015 Thunderbolt Monitor to a new 2021 MacBook Air with an adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.