You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add internet accounts after upgrade to Big Sur

Hi.

Yesterday i've upgraded my iMac (27-inch late 2015) from Sierra to Big Sur. It's a big jump i know, but still...

The upgrade went rather smooth. After about 30 minutes my computer restarted and Big Sur was there. Several apps were not compatible, but i didn't use them anyway. So i've just deleted them. Everything seemed fine. The problems started when i've opened the Mail app.

First of all, there were no emails accounts anymore. I thought "not a big problem. I'll just add them again". I've opened System Preferences -> Internet Accounts. The iCloud account was already there, so I've added my Google account first. Account was added and emails began to sync. But after about 10 seconds account just DISAPPEARED. Just like magic - poof! and it's gone. I've tried several times with different accounts, but it's always the same story - account is added and after about 10 seconds it's gone.

I've search the internet, but couldn't find anybody with similar problem.

Big Sur is new to me and i've never seen anything like this problem. So i don't know even where to start.

Can anybody help me?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 11:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 1:02 PM

Hi DiZoE,

Thanks for your reaction.

The weirdest thing happened. I've been away for a few days. Today i came back. I turned on the computer, the first thing i see is 2 notifications that there were 2 internet accounts added to my Mac. I've opened the "Internet Accounts" and there they were. Just 'inactive'. I've set them as 'active', opened the Mail app and all my emails started to come in.

I've restarted the computer couple of times, just to see if the accounts would still be there. And they are. And everything still works fine.

I have no idea what happened. Of course i've restarted computer several times after the upgrade. It didn't make any difference. But after few days off the system seems to fixed itself. I guess Big Sur is really 'magical' creature. ;-)

In any case I would not recommend to upgrade from Sierra to Big Sur. I think better to do the "clean install".

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2021 1:02 PM in response to DiZoE

Hi DiZoE,

Thanks for your reaction.

The weirdest thing happened. I've been away for a few days. Today i came back. I turned on the computer, the first thing i see is 2 notifications that there were 2 internet accounts added to my Mac. I've opened the "Internet Accounts" and there they were. Just 'inactive'. I've set them as 'active', opened the Mail app and all my emails started to come in.

I've restarted the computer couple of times, just to see if the accounts would still be there. And they are. And everything still works fine.

I have no idea what happened. Of course i've restarted computer several times after the upgrade. It didn't make any difference. But after few days off the system seems to fixed itself. I guess Big Sur is really 'magical' creature. ;-)

In any case I would not recommend to upgrade from Sierra to Big Sur. I think better to do the "clean install".

Jun 19, 2021 12:08 AM in response to ErnieBall333

Hi there!

I see this is happening for all Internet Accounts.

If you open Mail while holding Shift, any difference?

I think creating a new user account and signing into your Mail accounts is the best test here.

System Preferences > Users and Groups > “+” Add User.

Apple > Log Out.

Does the same issue occur in the new user? If not, or if so, that may give a clear and decisive path to fix it, thanks!

Can't add internet accounts after upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.