You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make Delete key Archive messages in Apple Mail

Same question as was asked here, but not answered: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8318214

The "Move discarded message into" > Archive feature seems to be designed for this, but when I change it, it does nothing. Deleting a message still sends it to Trash.

Anyone know of a way to fix this?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 10:58 AM

3 replies

Jun 20, 2021 6:56 AM in response to James Brickley

Thank you so much. I realized after posting this that that setting must be referring to something else.

Yes, I had already set up CMD + A to archive. Its just going to take a bit to train myself to think to use that. The issue I have is that I only want to fully delete marketing/unimportant emails, which probably make up half my emails or more. I realized that I've been deleting all my messages, which causes issues when later trying to search for important messages.

Thanks again for your help.

Jun 19, 2021 5:04 PM in response to fancypants

The feature you are describing from the Mail Help is specific to Notifications.

When you receive a Notification of a new email setting that option allows you to archive instead of delete. It also changes the Swipe Left action from Delete to Archive. But it won't change the function of the Del key to Archive.

The previous query you referenced states that CTRL + CMD + A will Archive the currently selected emails and that does work. The original poster on that question thought they had at one point changed the behavior of the delete key in Apple Mail. But I can assure you that they are mistaken.

The delete key is used all over the place and you really cannot override it. It's hard coded into the operating system and Apple API's, etc. There are no options to override the delete keys behavior within anyone one particular App.

However you can assign a keyboard shortcut for Archive but it won't be using the Delete key.

System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> App Shortcuts -> Hit the + add. the Mail app and Menu Title to be Archive and then define the keyboard shortcut you wish to use. Such as Ctrl+D which works. But trying to use Del will result an an error tone as it is a reserved key by the operating system.

How to make Delete key Archive messages in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.