You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download any app from the app store

I have a MacBook Pro that runs High Sierra, and when I try to download any app from the app store, it says that the app needs a newer version of macOS (normally Big Sur). Before I reinstalled macOS (because I changed the hard drive), it installed any app without any problems.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 6:33 AM

5 replies

Jun 21, 2021 6:54 AM in response to alex_sofonea

When trying to install an Application - have you checked if your version of macOS High Sierra is compatible with the desired Application ? From your description - it appear the Apple Store is Answering your question - the computer will have to upGrade to a newer version of macOS to install the application.

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install. Make sure to use Only Safari to commence the download as Other may not work

Make a Time Machine Backup Before attempting. Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina and Big Sur Only support 64 bit and there is not workaround.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

Jun 21, 2021 7:17 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, P. Philips for your support. I have a mac that doesn't support a newer version than macOS High Sierra. Also any app (doesn't matter how old: for example Garage Band or Xcode which I had both installed) says that the compatibility is just with macOS Big Sur. Actually, I'm searching for a way to install an older version on an app from the app store.

Jun 21, 2021 7:24 AM in response to alex_sofonea

Example from person experience. Have an old Mac mini that can only run High Sierra and have Pages, Numbers and Keynote installed. These are Older Version and although Hihi Sierra Apple Store say there are updates for all three - they can not be installed unless I update the MacOS to something newer - like yours. There is nothing that can be done to make the Apple Store to offer an Older version of these three applications.

The only solution is to purchase a newer Apple Computer or even a Refurbish Apple Computer directly from Apple or a Retailer of choice.

Can't download any app from the app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.