You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this legit: resecure your account

Opening up safari I got a message saying 'Compromised Password' due to a data leak. plus a link to click. Is this legit? If not, how does it end up showing in my browser? how worried should i be?

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 10:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 12:00 PM

thank you! this is very helpful.

yes this was indeed the notification

unfortunately i didn't click the link and closed the corresponding window.

i cant find anything about this in my keychain password safe, which is strange- right?

I would like to resolve the issue but can no longer find any information identifying the compromised passwords?

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 21, 2021 12:00 PM in response to dominic23

thank you! this is very helpful.

yes this was indeed the notification

unfortunately i didn't click the link and closed the corresponding window.

i cant find anything about this in my keychain password safe, which is strange- right?

I would like to resolve the issue but can no longer find any information identifying the compromised passwords?

Jun 21, 2021 11:11 AM in response to ydwine

If this is what you are seeing, it is legit.

Even though this is about iOS Safari, this applies to macOS Safari as well.

Section: Password monitoring

Safari securely monitors your saved passwords, automatically keeping an eye out for passwords that may have been involved in a data breach. To do this, Safari uses strong cryptographic techniques to regularly check derivations of your passwords against a list of breached passwords in a secure and private way that doesn’t reveal your password information — even to Apple. If Safari discovers a breach, it can help you upgrade to Sign in with Apple when available, or automatically generate a new secure password.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-14/features/

Try suggestions given in this article.

https://support.apple.com/guide/security/password-security-recommendations-sec7f0432063/web

Is this legit: resecure your account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.