You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine could not back up the disk “Macintosh HD - Data” because a snapshot of the disk could not be created.

Can't back up since upgrade

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 5:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:13 AM

See used and available storage space on your Mac Sometimes, TM Backup can not create a Local Snapshot because there is not Enough Empty Space on the Internal Drive to store the Snapshot until it is transferred to the TM Backup Drive.

6 replies

Jul 11, 2021 3:49 AM in response to Chestnutzki

I too erased the external hard drive (4 tb) that was working fine to do my Time Machine backups and also purchased a 10 tb external hard drive (seagate backup) and time machine gives me the same error message "Time Machine could not back up the disk “MacintoshHD - Data” because it is nearly full." I deleted my back ups when I erased my 4 tb hard drive and now I have no back ups at all. What else can I do?

Jun 22, 2021 12:01 AM in response to Chestnutzki

Hi Chestnutzki,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Please go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go > Utilities), and select "View" > "Show All Devices" in Disk Utility.

Now, go down the list of devices in the left sidebar and take a screenshot of each device, including internal and your external Time Machine drive(s).

Next, upload all the screenshots here to Apple Support Communities in a post. (there should be at least 4 screenshots uploaded)

Resources:

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

-Jack

Time Machine could not back up the disk “Macintosh HD - Data” because a snapshot of the disk could not be created.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.