You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Macintosh HD now appear in Finder.

I now have two Macintosh HD appearing in Finder. One was created 01 January 2020 and the second one was created on 18 June 2021. The one fro Jan 2020 contains Applications, Library, System, users. The Name and Extension shows as Macintosh HD. However the one that was created in June 2021, contains nothing that I can see in Finder, although if I Get Info, it does show that some of it is in use (exactly the same as in the other one. However the June 2021 created one in the Name and Extensions box says TimeMachineBackup. Can anyone tell me why this has happened and if it is using up my hard drive memory or what? Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 1:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 4:25 AM

Hi Luis,

I set up a new user and then went into finder and nothing. All as it should be. I even gave the new user admin rights, which still made no difference. So, I logged out from the new user and shut down my laptop. Rebooted and logged in as normal and the two additional Macintosh HDs have now gone and all is as normal. Strange. But your suggestion seems to have worked. So, thank you very much for that.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 23, 2021 4:25 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

I set up a new user and then went into finder and nothing. All as it should be. I even gave the new user admin rights, which still made no difference. So, I logged out from the new user and shut down my laptop. Rebooted and logged in as normal and the two additional Macintosh HDs have now gone and all is as normal. Strange. But your suggestion seems to have worked. So, thank you very much for that.

Jun 23, 2021 2:27 AM in response to mccj13

Please open Disk Utility and post a screenshot of what you see.

It is perfectly normal to have one "Macintosh HD" and one "Macintosh HD - Data" in Disk Utility, but only "Macintosh HD" should appear in the Finder.

If you tried to erase and install on this drive it is possible that you didn't do it correctly, leading to two volumes showing in Finder instead of one, and three showing in Disk Utility: one "Macintosh HD" and two "Macintosh HD - Data".

Please post that screenshot so we can know.

Also, if that is the case of having an extra volume, select each of the two "Data" volumes in turn, and post a screenshot showing also the right side of the window, so we can tell you which one you should delete.

Jun 23, 2021 2:46 AM in response to mccj13

This is unexpected.

Time Machine can create local snapshots in your drive, depending on availability, but they should not appear in the Finder.

Weird. Maybe someone else has seen something similar.

Just a thought: try creating a new user, and just as test, login as that user. Does the Finder also show you these extra volumes?

If it does not, then maybe deleting Finder preferences in your own account can help.

Two Macintosh HD now appear in Finder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.