You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do I really need to change my wpa to wpa2/3 if I am just a normal user

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 7:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 8:32 AM

I'm sure plenty of people use WPA and have never encountered a single issue. However, WPA is not the best protocol to use, so you may as well change your router's security settings just to be safe. It should only take a few minutes if you know your router's login credentials.

Change your router's settings:

1. On your Mac, open system preferences
  2. Click "network"
  3. Click "advanced"
  4. Choose the "TCP/IP" tab
  5. Copy the IP address beside "router" under IPv4 settings. Most routers use an address of 192.168.1.1, so yours will probably look similar to that.
  6. Open your web browser of choice and paste the IP address into the search bar, then press enter.
  7. This should open your router's login/configuration page. You will need to enter your router's password. If you don't know it, try doing a web search for your router model's default password, checking the router for a sticker, or contacting your ISP.

• WPA3 Personal is the newest, most secure protocol currently available for Wi-Fi devices. It works with all devices that support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), and some older devices. 
  • WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is a mixed mode that uses WPA3 Personal with devices that support that protocol, while allowing older devices to use WPA2 Personal (AES) instead.
  • WPA2 Personal (AES) is appropriate when you can't use one of the more secure modes. In that case, also choose AES as the encryption or cipher type, if available.
3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 23, 2021 8:32 AM in response to bde546

I'm sure plenty of people use WPA and have never encountered a single issue. However, WPA is not the best protocol to use, so you may as well change your router's security settings just to be safe. It should only take a few minutes if you know your router's login credentials.

Change your router's settings:

1. On your Mac, open system preferences
  2. Click "network"
  3. Click "advanced"
  4. Choose the "TCP/IP" tab
  5. Copy the IP address beside "router" under IPv4 settings. Most routers use an address of 192.168.1.1, so yours will probably look similar to that.
  6. Open your web browser of choice and paste the IP address into the search bar, then press enter.
  7. This should open your router's login/configuration page. You will need to enter your router's password. If you don't know it, try doing a web search for your router model's default password, checking the router for a sticker, or contacting your ISP.

• WPA3 Personal is the newest, most secure protocol currently available for Wi-Fi devices. It works with all devices that support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), and some older devices. 
  • WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is a mixed mode that uses WPA3 Personal with devices that support that protocol, while allowing older devices to use WPA2 Personal (AES) instead.
  • WPA2 Personal (AES) is appropriate when you can't use one of the more secure modes. In that case, also choose AES as the encryption or cipher type, if available.

Jun 23, 2021 8:18 AM in response to bde546

Yes, if it is important to you to protect your network from the bad guys as much as you can.

That being said, chances are you will probably be OK leaving things as is, just as you will probably be OK if you don't fasten your seat belt in the car. But, why take the chance if you can avoid it?

Use WPA2/WPA3 if you can. If your router does not support WPA3......(the Apple AirPorts do not).......then set it at WPA2 Personal. That won't offer as much protection as WPA3, but it is the best that you can do at this time with your AirPort router.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.