You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I restore my MacBook Air? Everything is erased

I accidentally erased my MacBook Air from my iPhone, using the App “Find My”

Now my MacBook Air is not working. How can I restore it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 9:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 9:20 PM

MrsESA Said:

"How can I restore my MacBook Air? Everything is erased: I accidentally erased my MacBook Air from my iPhone, using the App 'Find My' Now my MacBook Air is not working. How can I restore it?"

-------

With backup, try either of the following...

A. Internet Recovery Mode:

Boot Holding Down: [Option + Command + R keys]. It will install off of Apple's Servers. If you need to onto the Internet, use Ethernet. If Ethernet is of no option, then add the Wi-Fi connection SSID on the top-right corner of Recovery Mode,

Or...

B. Create a USB Bootable Installer:

1. Go Here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

2. Use: this command in Terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

3. Use: the Bootable Installer

Note: You'd boot into Recovery Mode[hold down command + R keys upon boot]. Then enter the password (if prompted). Once entered, go to the Utilities menu on the top of the screen, and then open: Terminal. While in Terminal you'd enter the above command.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 23, 2021 9:20 PM in response to MrsESA

MrsESA Said:

"How can I restore my MacBook Air? Everything is erased: I accidentally erased my MacBook Air from my iPhone, using the App 'Find My' Now my MacBook Air is not working. How can I restore it?"

-------

With backup, try either of the following...

A. Internet Recovery Mode:

Boot Holding Down: [Option + Command + R keys]. It will install off of Apple's Servers. If you need to onto the Internet, use Ethernet. If Ethernet is of no option, then add the Wi-Fi connection SSID on the top-right corner of Recovery Mode,

Or...

B. Create a USB Bootable Installer:

1. Go Here: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

2. Use: this command in Terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

3. Use: the Bootable Installer

Note: You'd boot into Recovery Mode[hold down command + R keys upon boot]. Then enter the password (if prompted). Once entered, go to the Utilities menu on the top of the screen, and then open: Terminal. While in Terminal you'd enter the above command.

Jun 23, 2021 9:11 PM in response to MrsESA

MrsESA Said:

-------

Restore from a Backup:

Do you have a Time Machine Backup of your Mac that you created prior to attempting this occurrence? If so, restore from it. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always create a Time Machine backup of your Mac prior to making any major change to is (i.e. macOS upgrade), so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade. Important: Be certain to create a backup, prior to any restoration, from here on out.

If you don’t Create One:

If you never created one, then you’d have to take this as a learning experience, and know to always create a backup.

How can I restore my MacBook Air? Everything is erased

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.