You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro thinks it is overheating but it is not hot

I just opened my macbook for the first time in a week and the fans started goin crazy. The system is so slow. I tjink that my macbook thinks that it is overheating and makes the system slow and makes the fans go really fast so that it would cool down. But the mac is not hot at all. I have no idea what to do. I do not know how to check if there is something wrong with my mac, can someone help out?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 6:58 AM

10 replies

Jun 24, 2021 7:11 AM in response to viiviovaskainen

viiviovaskainen wrote:

I just opened my macbook for the first time in a week and the fans started goin crazy. The system is so slow. I tjink that my macbook thinks that it is overheating and makes the system slow and makes the fans go really fast so that it would cool down. But the mac is not hot at all. I have no idea what to do. I do not know how to check if there is something wrong with my mac, can someone help out?

Do you have "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" ... (?)

>System Preferences>Software

If you have not booted for a while, your Mac could be reaching back to Apple Server to update and this can ramp up processing for no apparent reason.

Is this an on going issue, you need to be more specific.

Besides your everyday application software updating—

Apple uses its Software Update service (which also drives system software updates that show in the App Store or via the softwareupdate command-line tool) as a mechanism for installing “background and critical” updates that are installed silently in the background with no notifications to the user.

macOS - Security - Apple https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

Apple Platform Security - Apple https://support.apple.com/guide/security/welcome/web

Jun 24, 2021 9:43 AM in response to viiviovaskainen

You can update if you choose to do so as it's not mandatory. If you haven't updated for a "long time" and are on macOS Mojave or below, and you're running 32-bit apps that you need, be warned that updating to Catalina or above will result in those 32-bit apps no longer functioning.

EDIT: It appears that you are already on Catalina (10.15 in your profile) so you can update to your heart's content as long as the newest OS will support your hardware.

Macbook pro thinks it is overheating but it is not hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.